Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2009, 06:33 PM   #1
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Griffin, GA
Posts: 9

Does anyone have advice to get insurance on a conversion. I think I got my title settled today. I will know for sure if the state of GA doesn't send notification of problems. I was going to get my tag and called my insurance company for coverage to get the tag, they sent me to Progressive due to USAA doesn't cover motor homes, then when Progressive heard it was a conversion they refused to cover. Any ideas?

racerdude95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:23 PM   #2
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 262

we had ours full coverage and replacement with:
The Atlas Insurance Agency, Inc.
P.O. Box 688
Amelia, Ohio 45102

Telephone: 1-800-643-7770
Fax: 1-877-643-7770

They sell American modern and it covers EVERYTHING including roof top a/c if a branch hits it. I want to say ours $675.00 Full Coverage and replacement set at 165k

Camping Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:13 AM   #3
Senior Member
Bob E's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: OKC, Ok.
Posts: 109

I've got mine with State Farm. They will normally take a conversion if you have your other vehicles with them.
Full coverage (fairly high liab limits) with $1K deductable on collision & comp is around $660 per year (not 6 months).
Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:11 PM   #4
Senior Member
Doc Weaver's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: West Chester, Ohio
Posts: 483

State Farm wouldn't cover my truck as a commercial vehicle, but when I finished conversion and titled and tagged it as a motor home, they will now cover it. And it is quite a bit cheaper to insure as a motor home than a commercial vehicle. (at least in my case)
Doc Weaver
Doc Weaver '98 Freightliner FL60 pseudo toy hauler
Doc Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:16 PM   #5
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 625

...yep! me too $3400 for commercial truck and $502 for motor home[same vehicle].....I don't haul anything except my fat azz in the MH....and don't do anything that could accidentally make money of any sort.....stay by the rules and it will not so expensive if you get caught.......geofkaye
geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 05:06 PM   #6
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Griffin, GA
Posts: 9

I finally got insurance and tag Friday, just in time to pull my rig to our race last night. I tried several companies including Atlas all to no success. When ever I said Truck conversion they would say "We do not cover conversions. Finally I made up a Model as if it were a line built motor home on a Freightliner chassis and was no problem. Read all the mouse print in the insurance policy and as long as I dont race the truck or use it commercially I'm good. All I gotta do now is get my buddy who owns a RV sales lot to appraise it and I'm home free. Already got the binder and insurance card. Surprisingly, the title was the easiest part.

racerdude95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.