Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 09-25-2012, 12:33 PM   #1

Default House/Gen Batteries ? Deep or not ?

SO....

ive got one bad house battery....one GREAT one & one AGM Blue top....
im guessing the PO was in a pinch when he mixed the AGM w/ the LA's.

SO...im gonna replace all three...and im trying to decide what the best way to go is.

The batteries are used to start the generator (too)....we dont run on battery ver y often...so im wondering, is it smart to go w/ DEEP Cycle or conventional Starting batteries ?

bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:11 PM   #2

I used 2 walmart group 27 deep cycle batteries in my trailer. not impressed. my theory for walmart is they are everywhere we travel if I need a replacement, but the problem is we keep needing replacements... apparently poor theory. And they don't have a warranty on the deep cycles they sell now, mine had 36 months. Don't know if that is because of the deep cycles, or because of walmart. I'm betting on walmart.

The RV guys all seem to say that 6v golf carts in series to make 12v is the way to go, but that would only work with 2 or 4 and you have 3. But 2 of those may have more capacity than your current 3.

We don't run on battery much, but all the lighting is 12 volt, and the charger runs constantly when plugged in or on generator during the day when we are on the road.

hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:29 PM   #3

i appreciate the thought & feed back.

i wont buy anything from WMT - i know too much about them, dont ask how, cause i wont share (the world is too small a place)...but i know things about them that their employees dont know.

i am considering autozone & tractor supply - theyre most places we travel, and auto zone has good warranty on the duralast stuff (non pro-rated, complete replacement, for the 1st 5 years....at least on their automotive batts...i dont know if its different for deep's).

my local freightliner had some nice alliance batteries (850's for 60 each, and 1050s for 80 iirc)....figure theres plenty of FL dealers around too.

same w/ us on the generator or shore power - but what i USALLY do is break the battery connection if were sitting in the same spot for more than a couple of days....to prevent over charging.

when our unit is in storage i also switch the batteries off and use battery maintainer/chargers vs. the coach converter/charger.
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:54 AM   #4

Four new batteries under my truck when I purchased it but I've been reading this thread with interest. I've been creepy crawling under the truck recently learning what there is to learn as I seekwhere to place components like water tanks, plumbing, and genset.
jbeech is offline   Reply With Quote