Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 07-12-2011, 04:23 PM   #1

Default Generator HELP !!!

Well I've been watching here for yrs thinking of building a truck !! but a deal came along that was to good to be true so I bought 98 FL 60 with a 16 foot box on it. It's got a briggs powered 6000 watt generator!! The thing is loud as hell plus they way it's mounted catches all the road grime. I took it out going to move it up but been thinking on what I want to do with it. The first plan was to take it out of the cage, move up the mount and build new fuel tank for it. Now wondering do i want to make a basement and add the generator on a sliding mount . I can build anything so things aren't a major problem. thanks

mod_racer98g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:25 PM   #2

Check out my FL60. I make a box for the generator and air conditioner out of square tubing and a steel floor. aluminum skins and generator doors from Kinro. Then I went to the junk yard and bought three L brackets and mounted thenm to the frame. I don't know how to post pics on a post, so you'll have to check out my pics on the member gallery.

PS. I did the gas contractor, the gas Onan, and am now in the process of getting a true diesel truck generator. My advice is save the time and expense and go directly to the last step.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:48 PM   #3

here's some pics
Attached Thumbnails
006.jpg   008.jpg   011.jpg  
Old 07-12-2011, 07:54 PM   #4

dont waste your time or effort in a brigs gen buy a onan that will last for ever and be a lot quieter do it once and not twice take it from me been there done that
fastavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:27 PM   #5

Junk that briggs generator now! The only good thing about a briggs is it will blow up before it costs you and everyone within a half mile of you too much sleep! I'm personally a fan of a propane powered QuietPak for a reasonably priced alternative to a diesel job, but diese is the way too go if $ is not an issue. But sell that thing to a contractor somewhere where it belongs, and don't waste a dollar or minute of your time on it.
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:38 PM   #6

Trouble is this one doesn't cost me anything came with the truck so just a bit of time!! I'd love to have new generator but looking at the cost 3 grand and up !! WOW and at this time it's just to make things to work so we can go racing with it!
Old 07-15-2011, 02:20 AM   #7

Well, if you're going to the dirt track you'll fit right in. Gotta be 50 of those things running at full blast at any given time in the pits, can't hear the racecars!

Here is a link to the quietpak generators:
East Coast Generators

Some under $2 grand, and all in a nice enclosure all you have to to is hook it to a fuel tank your breaker box.
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:14 AM   #8

That contractor generator may work fine (although loud) while at the track, but mine used to turn off all the time while driving down the road. Somehow the oil sensor was not designed to be bouncing down road, so when the road would get rough, the low oil sensor would think its low on oil and shut down. Driving on I-40 was annoying. had to stop all the time and restart the generator.

I am getting a diesel generator from Martin Diesel built with a Yanmar diesel engine and a McCollough gen head for less the $3500. After three years of dealing with gas generators, this is a major blessing.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:17 PM   #9

hay mod racer i got a used onan i will sell u at a great price giv me a call 240 793 5740 i will take 1500.00 for it and it is 7000 kw
fastavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:19 PM   #10

I got a question on the briggs powered generator that I have?? It's a Devilbiss 6000 watt. I'm wanting to rewire the controlls to the inside of the truck and to a power transfer switch that's already there from the first generator that was in the truck. I have 4 wires that go to the generator Red,black,green and orange. I know the red &black are hot and the green is neutral/ground. The orange seems to be hot only when your on the 120V not on 240v. Just wondering if I need to worry about the orange or not ???
Old 07-24-2011, 10:19 PM   #11

Default Got the orange wire figured out !!!

Just thought i'd let people know that the red/green are 120 volts and the orange/black are 120volts. The orange/green are common/ground on this. thanks tim
Old 07-31-2011, 05:13 PM   #12

I have a Carrier APU. It provides a/c, heat, and 4000 watts of power. It is tied right into the truck's fuel tank system. Two cylinder Kubota diesel, water cooled. Mounts outside on the framerail. Made to run continuously if needed.

Check E-Bay; nice low-hour units available for $2500.00.

Mine has over 5000 hours on it and rns like Swiss watch!

Highway OPie
Grand Rapids, MI
Highway OPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:40 PM   #13

Default Well worked so far !!!

I took the contractor style wired a switch up in to box on truck. This is and on/off with push button starter, then added push button on generator so u can choke it if you have to. Hard wired it into the breaker box!! 240v Put muffler off 88 v-6 thunderbird with 1 1/2 tailpipe on it seem to work like a dream at the racetrack last night !!