I found these 5 pictures from the Springfield Mile on May 25, 2009 on the internet. I think they are poster quality pictures reflecting the speed and madness in high speed flat track motorcyle racing. In order to finish in 1-10 and beyond, you have to be a real risk taker.
These riders remind me of some type of modern day gladiators. I like photos which freeze the action and high end slow motion video. When watching video in slow motion, the riders seem to be so graceful at sliding through turns at 90mph, then tucking in for the 140mph straight aways.
Here are the 5 pictures,
1. The pack coming at you: http://truckconversion.net/pho...photo.php?photo=1500
2. The pack going away: http://truckconversion.net/pho...photo.php?photo=1502
3. Tucking in 1: http://truckconversion.net/pho...photo.php?photo=1501
4. Tucking in 2: http://truckconversion.net/pho...photo.php?photo=1504
5. Checkered Flag: http://truckconversion.net/pho...photo.php?photo=1503
And here are some videos of Flat Track Mile racing:
A 10 second video of the pack coming out of the turn at the Springfield Mile: http://www.youtube.com/user/mattix82
Here is a 1 minute video of the Springfield Mile from 2006:
Here is a 3 minute video from the Indiana State Fairgrounds, Indianapolis, Indiana, held on Saturday September 13, 2008:
Here is a 1 minute video with the camera attached to the motorcycle:
Here is a current 5 minute youtube video on the sport.
Here is a 4 min youtube video showing some vintage flat track.
Here is a short video including a crash just after the start: