Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 10-18-2009, 06:11 PM   #1

Hi, I'm new to this site and thinking of building a conversion from MDT. It seems most trucks I can find in my price range have either the 5.9 cummins or 7.3 International motor. To me these motors sound rather small being they are available in 3/4ton trucks. I will be using the truck as an RV and tow a trailer of around 7000lbs. What are your recommendations for motor. Commonly looking at FL70/80 an the international 4700. Also in Canada and need to have total combined weight elow 24000lbs. I'm open to all advice about truck type so you help is much appreciated.
Thanks in advance...

MimicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:55 PM   #2

I have a F650 Box Truck for my store, with a Cat C-7 and Allison Automatic, we bought the truck for 8700.00 it's an '04 and we run it all over for our parts returns 70-75 mph get's 13 miles per gallon and drives like a pick up... My 08 GMC Dually witha Duramac gets 12.4 at it's best...
I have heard Internationals are slow, the Cummins are supposed to work well... my Cat's run all day long no headaches... just bought a Sterling and broght it back from Wisconsin 75 miles an hour all day long used 125.00 worth of fuel back to Penn. , my dually used almost 200.00 hard to figure...
Hope this helps, ask Geoggkaye he is a HUGE HELP !!!
Burt Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote