View Single Post
Old 05-08-2015, 09:19 AM   #5
Bob86ZZ4

Hi Eric, like Don says, you might already have it able to do what you want. I bought my rig used off a lot and the salesman did a great job teaching me about how everything works. After owning for awhile I figured out that the truck engine wasn't charging the house batteries. There is a large round switch in my battery compartment that controls which battery bank is fed into the living quarters electrical system (12 volt that is). I thought when I had it set for both sets of batteries (chassis and living quarters) it would then charge the house batteries when the engine was running. It wasn't working that way. I called the factory that built it and talked to a guy. I was lucky I called before they went out of business in '09. He told me they have a switch on the dash that needs to be turned on to allow the house batteries to be charged by the engine. Huh? Never would have figured that out. I just leave that switch turned on now and it's all good.

I usually leave the large round switch in the compartment set for both sets of batteries when running down the road. Then when we're off the grid I set that switch to just the house batteries. That way I can use them up and not worry about being able to start the engine. My generator starts with the truck batteries, not the house batteries. I think that's the opposite of how Don's is set up.