Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 10-20-2019, 11:19 AM   #1

Default When hooked up to sewer...

When hooked up to sewer (RV hook up), is there a mechanism that allows your toilet to by pass the holding tank and divert right into the sewer line, or does the stuff still go into the holding tank, and you still need to wash it out?

hoodoo valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:24 PM   #2

https://www.americanonsite.com/ameri...talog/brv.html

Great! I'll check them out.

Old 10-23-2019, 06:15 PM   #3

Goes into the tank, most toilets are directly over the black tank.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottomland4x4 View Post
Goes into the tank, most toilets are directly over the black tank.
That's what I thought. I really was pleased to find that a diverter valve exists that would work perfectly in my case. So when the time comes, I have that figured out, anyways.
Old 10-27-2019, 03:51 PM   #5

You cant flush the solids enough for diverting it past the black tank. The RV system is designed to have the black tank full enough, 3/4 min, to allow the weight of water to flush all the solids out with it. Each toilet use that includes solid should include a good amount of water, a couple of pints perhaps.
Picinisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 07:25 PM   #6

I'm going to put a Cinderella incinerator toilet in my project
Hopefully to minimize packaging and to not have my black tank dictate where my toilet goes
Beaudacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 05:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudacious View Post
I'm going to put a Cinderella incinerator toilet in my project
Hopefully to minimize packaging and to not have my black tank dictate where my toilet goes
My bathroom is going to be really close to the rear axle, so this would really be advantageous for me too, but those incinerating toilets are sure expensive. Really unsure whether to use a regular house toilet or an actual RV toilet. A good many are all plastic, and the porcelain units are again.... expensive!
Old 11-04-2019, 07:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodoo valley View Post
My bathroom is going to be really close to the rear axle, so this would really be advantageous for me too, but those incinerating toilets are sure expensive. Really unsure whether to use a regular house toilet or an actual RV toilet. A good many are all plastic, and the porcelain units are again.... expensive!
A real household toilet would be nice. However, wouldn't the household toilet with rear tank take up too much space and run the risk of having the tank slop over going down the road?

It would certainly ensure enough water to solids ratio, maybe too much if you were boondocking.
petrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:39 AM   #9

I would drain the tank, but the bowl would be another issue. I thought of every possible thing I could do to accomidate that. Bottom line here is that the toilet and shower are going to be one footprint on account of space. So I'm leaning towards a porcelain RV style toilet but worry about the service life of the flap door, since it would be used daily, every single day. How often would that seal need to be serviced I wonder? Could they be hooked up to a standard house toilet flange?

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrel View Post
A real household toilet would be nice. However, wouldn't the household toilet with rear tank take up too much space and run the risk of having the tank slop over going down the road?

It would certainly ensure enough water to solids ratio, maybe too much if you were boondocking.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:56 AM   #10

The thetford toilet in our RV has a ball valve, instead of a flap. I don't know what the seal life on it may be, but odds are that daily use is better than letting it sit. Look at all the full-timers with those things.

I had a boat with the toilet and shower, and bathroom sink all in one footprint. I loved it! You could just spritz the whole compartment with a little simple green, hose it all down with hot water, and leave it to air dry. The "head" was always spotless, and the shower sump always clean. A little windex on the mirror and porthole occasionally and it was good to go.

I couldn't get away with that sort of setup now, with the wife and kids, but I sure liked it for a bunch of fishermen.
petrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:52 PM   #11

That's true. I forgot that some folks do actually live in them full time including my lifelong friend. I just need to find out if they could be adapted to a standard toilet flange now.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:02 PM   #12

We used a house toilet flange. However, use the largest pipe you can find and have a smooth path to the tank to avoid plugs. We initially had a smaller one that would plug
up. It wasn't a straight drop but had to go over a bit.
Doug Ambrisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 09:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Ambrisko View Post
We used a house toilet flange. However, use the largest pipe you can find and have a smooth path to the tank to avoid plugs. We initially had a smaller one that would plug
up. It wasn't a straight drop but had to go over a bit.
See, I want to use a diverter valve so that I can opt to use my tank, or bypass in favor of direct plumbing if I wish. So you used a regular RV toilet with the flange then?
Old 11-13-2019, 09:59 PM   #14

Yes, a regular RV toilet with house hold flange. As others say, RV's are designed to dump into a tank then and then dump the tank. They don't flush with much water compared to home toilets. So you might end up with things plugging. We had that issue when we had a smaller pipe and didn't when we went to a larger pipe.
Doug Ambrisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:24 AM   #15

I was of the impression that you could fill the bowl with as much water as you wished for the flush. Though we never actually used it, we did have a 28 foot RV with a V 10 Ford (2011). It seemed like there was a hose and sprayer there to add water, but details are sketchy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Ambrisko View Post
Yes, a regular RV toilet with house hold flange. As others say, RV's are designed to dump into a tank then and then dump the tank. They don't flush with much water compared to home toilets. So you might end up with things plugging. We had that issue when we had a smaller pipe and didn't when we went to a larger pipe.