Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 03-02-2004, 10:25 AM   #1

Hi all, just found this forum afew days ago & have been reading past posts & have learned quite a bit. I have 2 questions.....

In the RV world are these Class 8/Conversions considered Class A's or are they a whole new Class of RVs? Haven't found to much (if anything) about them at sites for RVs (ie, dealers).

Second ?...About a yr or so ago I read about Class A Bus RV manufacturers starting to build garages in the rear of some of the more upscale Class A's. Haven't been able to find anything in my searches for these. Anybody here know anything about these?

Thank,
Tom

TomD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 10:57 AM   #2

Tom,

If you go to Ebay.com, there is one such vehicle with garage for sale and if you enter this number 2463877275 into the search box, it will take you straight there. The floor plan would not suit me, but each to his own.

The manufacturer's name is in the auction listing so you may be able to make contact directly.

As to what a truck conversion is called, well I suppose it is really a big class C as there is that piece over the cab, just as a converted 45 ft bus is a big class A. My conversion does not have that piece at the moment, so I haven't a clue what it would be called.

Peter.

madbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 11:37 AM   #3

i was under the impression that mine [k.w. t2000] was a class A. now having read a bit more i would call any cabed chassis with a "box" to be a class "C". that's a va. opinion which may be wrong. mase
vapoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 12:36 PM   #4

I suppose that if the whole back of the cab was open such as if a 'condo cab' was attached to the conversion as against a 'day cab' being used, then the condo would be an A class, and the day cab a C class.

Peter.
madbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 01:12 PM   #5

Here are a few definitions I found.

Class A: class of motorhome referring to motorhome (box) built on chassis frame up.

Class B: class of motorhome referring to conversion vans.

Class C: class of motorhome referring to RV built using van-type chassis and cab.

Class A Motorhome

The largest of the motorized RVs, is a luxury motorhome unit entirely constructed on a bare, specially designed motor vehicle chassis.

Class B Camper Van

The Class B Motorhome is generally referred to as a Camper Van. This unit is built using a conventional van to which a raised roof is added.

Class C Motorhome

Sometimes referred to as a mini-motorhome, a unit built on an automotive manufactured chassis with an attached van cab section.

I consider these to be motorhome conversions, an all new class. There is no way these fit into the traditional classes they have. They are not built like them, they don't drive like them and they definetly don't look like them.

Travel Supreme makes a garage mid engine pusher, which if you really squeeze it in can fit a Mini Cooper. I think the garage is 12'. It is not full height like a garage conversion.

Bill

2003 28' Show Hauler Motorhome on a 1995 FLD 120 www.showhauler.com
Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 07:07 PM   #6

Warpath,

Then if you had to just call itby "Class" then it would be "Class 8"???

Tom

Thank,
Tom

TomD is offline   Reply With Quote