Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 09-13-2017, 06:39 PM   #1

Default Converting a class 8 tractor and 53ft trailer to RV status

Just looking for some guidance.

I have a 2006 387 Pete tractor and a Great Dane 53ft drop frame van. We converted the trailer to haul race cars in 2007. It has been a great combo for us. But the time has come to shut that business down and convert the trailer to sleeping quarters/car hauling for personal use. Also so I can stop paying all the hotel expenses when we go racing.

Here is my question: Is it possible to convert this type of rig to RV status? I live in Illinois and because our state is broke there is no one to talk to about this process. So, I am reaching out to the group to see if anyone has some first hand experience with this type of thing in my state.

Thanks in advance for any help.

vwmann1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:08 AM   #2

Just need 4 of the 6 or 7 things that they have listed on there website. Cooking device, fridge, running water, heat/ac, power, toilet, auxiliary power. Just tell them you want rv and rt plates. You will need those things in the truck and trailer though to be legal though.

Steve

superbird03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:34 PM   #3

1997 Ford CF8500 cabover == registered as RV, towing a
1980 Utility 40' OTR reefer == registered as RV.

[We picked our trailer because it is all aluminum. No wood in the floors or walls.]

We live near the outskirts of Eugene, Oregon. (Our experience with Oregon bureaucrats may not translate to your bureaucrats. If yours don't play nice, take your business elsewhere.)

We told the licensing bureaucrats we built our RV using a commercial chassis. This's all we said, then we shut-up to allow their brains to fill the blanks.

For insurance, we shopped several brokers. Yes, we got blank looks from some. Others outright stated insurance is impossible.

So, naturally, we endeavoured to persevere.

We discovered an underwriter willing to risk based on our credit rating.

It pays to pay your bills.
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote