Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 05-10-2006, 10:25 AM   #1

Our rig is complete. Pictures are posted here: http://pictures.transportdesigns.com...orhomes/Olson/

Steve and his crew at Transport Designs built a small, custom floorplan that is a perfect match to our needs. If you want high quality and have requirements that other manufacturers say can't be done, contact Steve Mattie. If you can dream it, he can build it.

Old 05-10-2006, 10:48 AM   #2

Hey Alan -

The rig looks sweet! How will you be using it?

What motor, hp, & trans do you have in your M2?

Bill

Old 05-10-2006, 05:37 PM   #3

WHOA! That is JUST the size I have in mind(give or take)! Sweet rig! Alan, If you don't mind, could you divulge the approx cost of the conversion, excluding the truck? Not to be nosey(OK, I'm nosey....), I'll have an idea what I'm up against. Thanks!
Gary
Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally posted by Warpath:
How will you be using it?

What motor, hp, & trans do you have in your M2?
We favor undeveloped forest service campgrounds and state parks. So, maneuverability was a prime consideration. We also don't plan to tow anything unless our destination dictates otherwise. We'll carry a motorcycle on a lift on the back of the motorhome as our runabout.

Our M2 has the 300 hp / 860 lb-ft MBE 926 engine with an Allison 3000TRV transmission. We haven't made any mountain trips yet but the power seems adequate. Nonetheless, I'm anxious to hear the outcome of your plans to increase your output to 330 HP. Will that also involve some transmission work to handle the 1000 lb-ft of torque?
Old 05-10-2006, 06:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Atsma:
WHOA! That is JUST the size I have in mind(give or take)! Sweet rig! Alan, If you don't mind, could you divulge the approx cost of the conversion, excluding the truck? Not to be nosey(OK, I'm nosey....), I'll have an idea what I'm up against. Thanks!
Gary
Gary - It is a "cute" little rig, eh? In fact, there are Born Free and Lazy Daze rigs on the ever-popular Ford van chassis that are longer than ours. We're just under 26.5 feet overall length.

The base price at the time our contract was signed was about $65k. Of course, options and your specs would greatly affect the price. The largest single option we added was the slideout/leveler package at about $12k.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:27 PM   #6

Waddayamean "cute"! This is a TRUCK fercryinoutloud! (Boy! What is this world coming to? ;-). Yeah. It is one COOL rig! It could be mine, with very little change. One question, though. Does the 65K include the 12K for the slideout? I really don't care to have a slideout (personal preference). Very reasonable either way. Thanks for answering!
Gary
Old 05-11-2006, 07:04 PM   #7

alan--- that's a real class "a" class c--- really- i just looked at all of the pics--- great job both in the design and the execution. WOW---the only thing i'd need is more power--- umm--- 500 with a 12 speed auto shift and 3.08 gears--- just kiddin'--- good job,-- enjoy--- mase
vapoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 08:49 PM   #8

Awww, Mase, you ain't foolin' anybody around here- you DO want all that power, gears, and loooong-legged gears, if for nothin' else than to do the job in a proper manner.......at least I would.......
Old 05-12-2006, 06:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Atsma:
One question, though. Does the 65K include the 12K for the slideout?
The 65k base price was without the slideout.

Thanks for the words of praise. We're very pleased with how it turned out.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:32 PM   #10

Thanks Alan!
Still a very reasonable price considering the overall high-quality work done in the coach. You are gonna have a blast in that thing, plus it will be relatively easy to park and maneuver into campground slots, even the non-pull-thrus; backing will be a cinch! See the thread on Warpath's rig for other comments and a question.