Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 04-25-2016, 01:31 PM   #1

Default Alaska...again!

About two months and two weeks until our departure for AK. I'd like to impose on anyone here who has been up there recently in their TC to share your experiences. Any particular concerns, dos and don'ts, etc.

We thought we were going to make the trip unencumbered, then we thought we'd take a trailer and a vehicle, now we are contemplating taking a toad. Any comments along those lines would be appreciated as well. Thanks!

petrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:39 PM   #2

Keep us in the loop. I am planning Alaska for next year and will either flat tow or trailer our Jeep. I think I may lean toward trailering my toad in the future, being that I can back up and have better paint protection with a trailer than flat towing.

Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 04:53 PM   #3

Wow, not sure how I neglected to respond, or how I found this now. My take on an AK adventure:

1) Truck Conversions are made for this adventure. Mine did not have any problems with the rough roads (although you become a pro frost heave dodger), mud, unbelievable dust, steep climbs, etc. Although I did not need anything for the truck, I took the time to look around. Service and fuel for a truck was readily available.
2) I would not want to deal with a trailer, unless I was going to use it to get toys to AK, then drop it somewhere and flat tow to various places, or use the toad/trailer to haul ATVs, kayaks, etc. to other day trip destinations.
3)With that said, I hate not being able to backup with the toad attached! In 13,000 miles, I got myself into two jams where I had to drop the toad in a hurry. That was two too many!
4) The boon docking and state rv sites are the best. The private campgrounds leave much to be desired.
petrel is offline   Reply With Quote