Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 07-08-2005, 02:45 PM   #1

We have been lurking for the last month and have picked up lots of good information. We are now seriously considering the purchase of a motor home built on a class 8 chassis such as those built by Haulmark, Renegade, Show Hauler, etc. Most of these builders appear to use Freightliner chassis but appear to offer choices between model of truck and engines. We are trying to determine the pros and cons of Columbia vs. Coronado and Detroit 60 vs. MBE 4000. Please share your thoughts and experiences with us.

bluehole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 08:34 PM   #2

.....i'd go with a 60 just because of the history behind the engine and parts availability....Freightliners are good trucks and can be bought now at a good price-'specially if you leave out the middleman....call freightliner frank at 1-800-582-5807 with your best price and old frank will beat it.....geofkaye....[don't tell him I called him old.....]

Old 07-08-2005, 08:55 PM   #3

Besides, there's something the Series 60 seems to have more of than the MB4000, and that's TORQUE, every trucker's first (sometimes second, but we won't go there just yet) love. At least that's the consensus(sp?) of the local milk haulers. The MB unit is OK as long as there aren't too many serious hills involved. But keep in mind that all this is w/full 80,000 GVW loads. In an RV situation it might all be immaterial, though the parts and service situation, as Geof says, is way better with the Detroit 60, having been around about 15 years(has it really been THAT long?!?!). Happy hunting!
Gary
Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 09:02 PM   #4
cjc

Ok, now I'll throw a monkey wrench in the works. I've had the Mercedes engine/12 speed Freedom tranny for over 2 years now and the chassis and engine/tranny is the only thing that I HAVEN'T had problems with and I love that combo. Well, I did have a crack in the fuel tank that came from the factory, but that was replaced. I have the Columbia cab, but have checked out the Coronado also. The interiors look identical. Even though I have the Columbia, the Coronado looks nicer on the exterior. Just a truckier looking truck. Just an opinion. I don't know what the cost difference is or if there is a significant difference in mechanics.
cjc is offline   Reply With Quote