Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 09-05-2003, 07:04 AM   #1

My rig settles a couple inches in a day if not started. The guage still says over 100psi. Is this normal? Another air question. Last night I took my rig home for the first time and getting it around an island and some trees requires considerable jockeying. After pumping the brakes while backing...going forward and reverese several times the low air alarm came on. I think it comes on at 100 psi. It took about thirty seconds for the system to recover. Is this normal? I think my running pressure is around 130 psi.

Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 08:18 PM   #2

They will bleed off some small amount when the truck sits. Mine would do that when I drove OTR. The shifting of a trialer in the wind, the poressure of the weight on the bags, the slow drain from the exit valves, etc, will usually run the air down. You should drain the tanks every couple of days using the water drains anyway, even if you have an air dryer, to keep moisture from accumulating in the system. It will really screw it up, and repairs are a major pain and expense.
You may have a slow leak too, as I don't think brake use of that type when the truck is running should cause the low pressure warning to come on.

Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 08:57 PM   #3

In my own experience-you got to pump the brakes many-many times to get the buzzer to come on....maybe 25 times at idle...not impossible-but it is rare....check for air leaks with squirt bottle of soapy water....chock them tires first....no need for that much excitement...geof-near Cincinnati
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 07:23 AM   #4

I have to back up down a hill and around an island dodging trees so I probably pumped them 20 times. Another factor might be the fact that I have ABS. I'm not sure if ABS systems use more air or not but I do have two dump valves on the dash. About 30 minutes after I parked the rig I heard the air system fart...almost (but a softer sound) like when you depress the brakes. Is that normal as well?
Old 09-06-2003, 09:00 AM   #5

ABS doesn't have anything to do with slow speed....I'D still be looking for air leaks...my old army deuce started leaking one nite-sprayed the then copper lines and one was leaking in 10 spots. with the new plastiic lines that is not going to happen, but they do crack/wear around the fittings because of vibration Pop offs are some what startling till you get used to them...Kinda like they got a mind of their own....checking air lines will be a project that will take an hour....geof-Near Cincinnati
Old 09-06-2003, 11:56 AM   #6

I spoke with a friend who is a trucker and used to be an instructor. He said weekly bleeding of the tanks is important even with a dryer. He said the bag bleed off is normal. The proper way to test the low air alarm is to chock the tires, turn the engine off and pump the brakes until the alarm sounds. It should go off at 60 psi. The gauge that shows applied pressure should never read over 25 psi or you have hot brakes. This is fun learning all this new stuff!!
Old 09-06-2003, 01:47 PM   #7

Also I heard the fart is normal too. It is just the bags leveling. I was on a slight sideways incline.
Old 09-08-2003, 09:38 AM   #8

I loose my air in about 8 hours. Which is fine with me, because compressed air left in the system for long periods will cause condensation anyway. I dump the air (I have front & back air bags) before I set the hydraulic levelers as well. My low air goes off at 60 psi and I have never even come close to that. Your low air buzzer setting seems to be kinda high at 100 psi, I would think you could hit that at certain situations as you found.

Bill

2003 28' Show Hauler Motorhome on a 1995 FL 120 www.showhauler.com
Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 09:44 PM   #9

When i drove for Amerigo If my truck bled off over nite-it went to the shop the next day....my truck had to hold pressure except when I'd blow it down-overnite....company safety policy....geof-near Cincinnati
Old 09-09-2003, 04:05 AM   #10

Geof. so were you supposed to blow it down overnight?
If anyone knows of how you adjust the low air alarm setting please advise. I thought there was a forum for everything...I can't find one for big trucks.