Thread: New Here
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2014, 11:34 AM   #8
Bob86ZZ4

Oh okay. For sure I think you would want to only consider a truck with a good size sleeper on it. That way you can put enough stuff into it to license it as a motorhome. It should be much cheaper to license and insure that way. And you wouldn't need any special license to operate it either. My son is a owner/operator truck driver. He bought a '03 Freightliner FLD120 almost two years ago for $18k. Cummins N-14 engine, straight 10 trans. He's used it all this time with almost no problems. It's got the huge condo sleeper with upper bunk. He was thinking about adding the stuff to turn it into a motorhome when he quits driving. He did some research and doesn't think it would be very expensive to add enough. So, I think you're barking up the right alley. Have you ever heard of the HDT Rally ? I've gone to it about 5 times. It's a great time. They are very welcoming to people that don't have hdt's but are thinking about getting into one. You've just missed this one. They have one in the spring they call the East Coast Rally. But the other one in Kansas is billed as the National Rally. For sure you should make plans to attend next October. Hopefully you can go to one before buying a truck. They have a forum for the HDT crowd too at: HDT - Escapees Discussion Forum