View Single Post
Old 09-10-2005, 06:08 AM   #6
Wick

I would start by asking if they used genuine cat parts. If so then there should be no problems there. The rebuild was needed becouse they did not keep the water treatment up to date. All the wet sleeved engines will pit the liners in the same manner if the nitrate levels are not kept up. Simple test kit and use of a water filer and correct solution will keep the cooling system in great shape no matter how many miles you put on it.
The 15k btu a/c units should do a good job of keeping the inside cool.
It looks like a stock NRC unit.
The "electrical" vs the "mechanical" has to do with the way the engine is controlled. Electrical engines tend to be more efficient as everthing from timing to rate of boost or fuel is comtrolled by the ecm. Tends to make the engine perform at its peak. The fuel mileage stated is somewhat suspect. Even bobtail my 1996 Pete's with the same basic spec's don't do more than 8mpg. We have 2 that have over 800,000 miles on them and are still going strong.
The 13 speed transmission will take some getting used to if you have not driven one before. It is a good unit and will allow you to skip uneeded gears very easily.
You have asked on previous posts about the "need" for 2 rear axles. I think it all depends on what you are going to tow and how heavy the total combination will be. My total weight will be approaching 30 tons and I can tell you from expierence that I need the extra braking effort with a twin screw versus a single axle. This unit looks short enough for the single to ride well.
Overall it does look like a very good deal.
Just my 3 cents worth.

Wick
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote