Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community > Classifieds > For Sale: Toterhomes, Motorhomes, HDT & MDT's
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 09-07-2005, 05:32 PM   #1

What's this one worth?

Comments on layout, construction...?

It has a rear bumper, good idea, what's the last 3 feet for, storage?

Says it has only 140,000 orig miles though 15 yrs of age. Are they designed to last years...? Do they hold up well?

Is this a better choice vs an newer truck with more miles...?

Why the ladder on the driver side? To look at roof or climb on roof and walk around?

Look at how low the cabover portion is to the roof line of the truck.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1998-NRC-FREIGHTLINER-RV...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 11:21 PM   #2

.....there are a few possibilities here if one had the time to go and look at the rig up close and personal and look over the paperwork and whoever rebuilt the engine....and if there is any warranty on the rebuild....if so -jump on it for 90 you would be getting a fair deal.....for 75 cash you would be stealing it.....geofkaye-again it is important to look for yourself up close and personal.......

Old 09-09-2005, 04:41 PM   #3

It looks like a nice machine.

Lots of interesting features like outdoor flood lights, rear storage...

When you look at the lower outside access doors, they seem to be different in height which alters the potential for smoother lines. Do you think that's NRC's work or modified by owner?

Does this look like an stock NRC rig or modified by owner?

Think he'd take $75? Any of you folks know the owner?

The ad says this: CATERPILLAR 3406B 425 HP MECHANICAL DIESEL. ROADRANGER RTO 14613 OD MANUAL TRANS.

What does mechanical diesel mean? Is there another option like electronic diesel...? Difference...?

Is the tranny considered a good unit?

"THE 2 AIR CONDITIONERS ON THE ROOF ARE 15000 BTU'S."

Is this sufficent cooling power? How much cooler can these units make the box than outside air temp?

What is your impressions, good/bad...?

I'm looking for more of a working machine than a show machine. Something I can store tools in and work on the road... It appears to be a beast. Just what I need.

With the low mileage on the truck and motor, it would run forever yes?

And the NRC box will operate for years yes? Quality built? Will stay together...?

Noticed that the rear bumper step appears to be a storgae area.

How does this one compare in price and quality to the rig the webmaster recently sold?
"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:45 PM   #4

I believe I know the owner. If it's the guy I am thinking of based on location, name and user name, they run the local oil supply company and feature Shell products. He used it for racing motorcycles and such. If you want I could find out and take a gander. It is roughly 20 minutes from me. If it's him, he likes his trucks and does take care of them and buys some just for toys.
Camping Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 10:19 PM   #5

.....I'd look really close at this one....the mechanical vs electronic isn't that relevant for motorhome use....I'd be looking at the rebuild receipts and find out who rebuilt it and I'd be asking for a warranty[within reason]....but I think the possibilities are there for an exceptional rig.....it is a little underpowered for electrical at 7k these days but that might be continouse and spikes would be more....I don't recognize the generator....I have no love for black water tanks so I'd knock that out and go with an Incinolet....but other than that I'd use it....Remember that this is the end of the season in a lot of the country and market demands are lower at this time of year...so price is negociable unless he wants to have it under the Christmas tree again this year....geofkaye
Old 09-10-2005, 06:08 AM   #6

I would start by asking if they used genuine cat parts. If so then there should be no problems there. The rebuild was needed becouse they did not keep the water treatment up to date. All the wet sleeved engines will pit the liners in the same manner if the nitrate levels are not kept up. Simple test kit and use of a water filer and correct solution will keep the cooling system in great shape no matter how many miles you put on it.
The 15k btu a/c units should do a good job of keeping the inside cool.
It looks like a stock NRC unit.
The "electrical" vs the "mechanical" has to do with the way the engine is controlled. Electrical engines tend to be more efficient as everthing from timing to rate of boost or fuel is comtrolled by the ecm. Tends to make the engine perform at its peak. The fuel mileage stated is somewhat suspect. Even bobtail my 1996 Pete's with the same basic spec's don't do more than 8mpg. We have 2 that have over 800,000 miles on them and are still going strong.
The 13 speed transmission will take some getting used to if you have not driven one before. It is a good unit and will allow you to skip uneeded gears very easily.
You have asked on previous posts about the "need" for 2 rear axles. I think it all depends on what you are going to tow and how heavy the total combination will be. My total weight will be approaching 30 tons and I can tell you from expierence that I need the extra braking effort with a twin screw versus a single axle. This unit looks short enough for the single to ride well.
Overall it does look like a very good deal.
Just my 3 cents worth.

Wick
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 12:48 PM   #7

Thanks for the advice guys.

Keep posting machines if you see anything of interest.