View Single Post
Old 04-20-2019, 11:20 AM   #28
rvmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushpilot View Post
do I understand that to be a generator that is chassis/engine powered?
are those USD $ (if so thats quite expensive).
Yes, belt driven from main motor, price is USD.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CATERPILLAR...kAAOSwCHZaqRVS

In Germany or Austria, there is plenty of 7-12 ton EURO2, 3 and 4 trucks available with extremely low mileage (< 30000) price ranging from USD5000 - 8000. The price is low because of the tight emission regulation in German cities. The truck must be EURO5 or 6 to enter most major cities.

Such trucks have 4-5 Litre engine; power curve parallels with CEN alternator. I plan to acquire Nissan Leaf battery 30/40Kw and charge it with CEN.
This CEN alternator has a pretty impressive power curve, and it even gives out 14V 50A at the same time. If you have Leaf 30Kw battery, it takes less than 3 hours to charge it fully from empty while driving.

30Kw should last at least a few days in regular RV use with modern appliances. With such a small truck 3 hours per week commuting should be doable if an EV charging station is not available.

This is the smooth side of starting from zero - I can choose the best options from what is available. I plan to solve first energy issues, then water and let them set the frame how the rest of the vehicle is made. Who knows, maybe I find something new? Two weeks back I met a Finn guy making electric buses in China. He had an idea to make a fully electric luxury RV.

In Europe Diesel has price around double what You have.

Nice service that GasBuddy. First time I see it.
rvmaker is offline   Reply With Quote