View Single Post
Old 07-12-2016, 08:57 PM   #13
RBowman

Default blue ox

Thanks for everyone's input. I did get a final ruling from Blue Ox. I was straightforward with them regarding the estimated mileage and usage. I called in the serial number and they reviewed the pics. It is a steel towbar. No visible cracks. 1 arm broken and the other bent. I probably have 40-50K on what is a 2012 tow bar. I think I bought it near the end of 2012 from an online blue ox authorized dealer with a one year warranty. It was sold as a NASCAR promo towbar used in some function for NASCAR. Blue ox confirmed this and their take is that NASCAR put so much wear and tear on it during the 6-12 months it was in use that (what appeared to me to be a nearly new towbar when I bought it) fatigued and broke in 2016 as a result. They conceded that even when running a 5000lb vehicle on a 10000lb towbar that I must replace the towbar every 5-10 years or 100K miles to prevent fatigue failure. They offered $150 off the suggested $895 cost of another aventa at a blue ox dealer or for about $550, two new aventa arms. No free or low cost rebuild options.
I liked the function and reluctantly picked up another lightly used aventa LX 10K towbar online for $500 w shipping and hope to get a hefty fixed steel towbar welded up this winter when time allows.
Thanks again for all the thoughts and suggestions!
RBowman is offline   Reply With Quote