Thread: Gen Set
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2016, 10:20 AM   #12
samcrimm

Update,

After 1590 miles my bolts broke and pulled thru my tap job. I got lucky and had a friend in Delta Co and we fixed two of the bolts on the outboard. The engine bolt had pulled the threads out and I had to drill up from bottom up, measured about 10 times eye balled the drill and stilled missed the hole about 3/16. We finally found the hole but it was only 100deg in the shade.
Went to the local tractor place and got a foot of baler belt. Cut a square put a hole in it and it made the rubber donut fill up the sleeve the bolt had to go thru. The extra rubber made it ride better. The sheared bolt on the gen end soaked in some wd40 and it backed out like a champ! Used another square belting and the donut. Used grade 8 bolts this time, lock tight on the one I had to drill all the way thru. Figured out that the rough roads and g forces bouncing down the road are the breaking force. Let hope I can get home and fix the other 2 bolts on inboard side. So 38chevy454 was right off the bat.

Sam
2005 Renegade #1204 42 footer Columbia M3200CH-435,12 speed auto Cat 12 kw Genset, Roadtrip Mission in-mot Dish Network, Washer dryer combo, Jeep Liberty toad,1973 Cessna Skylane,1955 Chev 210 Belair survivor
samcrimm is offline   Reply With Quote