Thread: "fog" lights
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2016, 01:21 PM   #16
Duff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob86ZZ4 View Post
I think they're just a standard fog type light. They mount with one bolt it looks like. I'll take some close ups and measure next time I'm at the rig.
Thanks Bob! From a distance, they look like they're similar in size to the gen-1 Volvos--I'm working on a kit for those now. With any luck, there might be some shared parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcrimm View Post
I bought some HID lights to replace my current candles....I have them installed but not all the way hooked up. They installed easy and neat, I just have to hook the feed wire up to the place where you jump start the truck, just out of pocket for a while. Got them from xenondepot and the price was good less than $150.00, I will give an update as soon as I get them hooked up.

Sam
Sam--Please don't do this. HID "bulbs" that share a halogen bulb base aren't legal for sale in the US, and for good reason. The light manufacturer (Grote for the Coronado lights) designs for a specific filament location and light output. A Xenon capsule isn't the same shape or location as the filament, and can't reproduce the proper light distribution. It may seem brighter, but it's going to give you increased foreground lighting and glare toward other drivers, which are both dangerous. If you look at any HID system with reflector optics, you'll notice that the bulb is shielded and isn't directly exposed to someone standing in front of the truck--that won't be the case with your conversion. Looking directly at the light will be blinding, especially at close range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrel View Post
I've sent Dave at DeepSpace all the photos and measurements of my truck's lighting configuration. I hope he can build (and I can afford) a complete lighting upgrade, while also retaining much of the truck's original appearance.

I completely agree with the previous remark about costly lighting in "occasional use" vehicles. However, a considerable amount of my use occurs at night. I just finished up CDL school. After a month of talking about hazard avoidance and stopping distances, I've decided that I need to be able to see a bit better both at night with better headlights, and during the day with my newly acquired (and first pair of) eyeglasses!
Working on it!! I can't tell you the number of RVers that have commented that they like the light upgrades, but just don't drive at night. One in particular, who's very active in the HDT crowd on the Escapees forum at at the national rally, was in this boat until having to make a trip cross-country to deal with a family emergency. Especially when you're already pushing it, you don't want to be struggling to see. I've actually found that with good lights and the big rig, I tend to prefer night driving--less traffic (especially passenger cars), and fuel stops are less crowded. Especially when stopping for propane (e.g. at Flying J), it's far easier to do it at night--there are a number of them where I'd be in the way to reach my tank, but it's not a big deal at 1am.