View Single Post
Old 11-10-2015, 05:52 AM   #7
bushpilot

our coach has the Mercedes MBE4000 (aka DD13), 12.8L (tuned to 450hp / 1650 tq) with the ZF/Meritor Smart Shift 12 speed....our coach could be tuned for 500hp (just haven't bothered).

moderately loaded (220 gal of water, 120+ gal of fuel), beer, ice & food....but no toad, our coach tips the scale at 36k lbs.

full to the gills the coach probably doesn't exceed 38k (not including the 4200 lb jeep wrangler sport).

this summer we had no problem pulling the 7%, 6000' + grades around sedona....were typically in the left lane passing some cars (and certainly all the trucks).

our coach isn't gonna win any drag races, but we have never had an issue merging into traffic or getting around "town"....hell i just dropped my buddy off at Houston Intercontinental Airport on sunday (jeep in tow)....no problem dealing with traffic there (either).

I was skeptical about the auto-shifts at 1st but, once you have the pleasure of driving one you'll appreciate the performance and capability (no slipping torque converter)....the auto-shift trans are pretty smart....skip shifts gears as needed, depending on rate of acceleration & load/tow....and it does the same thing on down shifts....i say its one of the coolest features of the coach.
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote