View Single Post
Old 07-17-2015, 07:43 PM   #2
asitool

I built 3 prototypes and eventually settled for ordering the slides from liftco. I wish I had used one of my designs instead... The liftco unit is nice but it feels half assed compared to the rest of the coach.

Design 1) 8" channel with 1/2 nylon pads mounted above frame, (you could probably get away with 6". I used 2x6x.090 square tube with laser cut slots and a sprocket for motive power. (similar to a rollback tow truck)

Design 2) Similar to a cantilever gate. I used 4 steel sliding gate "v" rollers and built a ladder frame from two pieces of 2x2x090 parallel to each other (8" apart)with angle welded to them for the V rollers.

Design 3) 8" channel with nylon, two pieces of 2x2x090 welded in a ladder (6" apart) at the same angle as the inside of the channel. With this design I planned to use hydraulic power to operate the slide with a cam lock to keep it closed, (similar to rippers on a box scraper for a tractor)

Designs 1 and 3 were intended to use grease. I realize it's probably hard to visualize from the descriptions. I feel like the liftco slide is really maxed out at 1k lbs. I think the custom designs could have supported 5k easily. I'll take some pictures when I get by the shop.
asitool is offline   Reply With Quote