View Single Post
Old 07-08-2014, 06:52 AM   #112
RLPRACING

Default 7/7/14

To me the biggest challenge in doing a build like this, is routing all the utilities. Unless you come up with a tray that you can add lines at a later date when you come up with new ideas/needs, you need to know where everything goes BEFORE the build starts. One example, I forgot to route the power wire for the under cabinet lights over the dinette/sofa before the walls got paneled. It was tough running the line and hiding it. I used a corner molding to hide it in the bathroom.
Here is another example, the rear view camera lines. Its a two camera system. I placed the video screen on the dash where it was out of the road but still in a good place for the driver to see. I would like it higher so it would be like looking in a rear view mirror but didn't know where to run the lines up there. Where its at, I could run the lines straight back into the dash. I picked up the power off the cigarette lighter and installed a switch(red light in pic) so I could turn the system on/off when I wanted it rather than ignition key position. Camera cables go behind the dash toward the passenger side, down the kick panel, under the floor corner panels to the back of the cab, over the cab/coach boot. The coach camera cable then runs to the ceiling and to the back of the coach and out the rear wall. That I had done before walls and ceiling. The trailer camera cable goes through the floor into the A.C. compartment, out the side of that compartment into the center of the truck frame rails and runs the length of the truck to the trailer hitch are where it connects with the cable coming from the trailer. The main problem with running these cables are the size of the ends. You need to drill a huge hole to get the end through then only have a little 1/4" cable in the hole when you are done. Of course the coach cable was too short and the trailer cable too long so that connection is in the rear coach compartment instead of out on the hitch. I should have bought two long cables. I placed the camera at the top of the trailer and had to adjust its angle all the way up so the door clears it(barely). Drilled a hole straight into the trailer and ran the cable inside the trailer along the upper inside. Its not hidden but its out of the way and protected.
Planning, planning, planning is all I can stress.
RLPRACING is offline   Reply With Quote