View Single Post
Old 05-19-2014, 09:05 PM   #9
A.J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmc View Post
The rv is 6,800 dry trailer frame is 6,500 toy is 3,000 1,000 mis. trailer frame is a 15 gvw I feel there is at least 4k to 5k on the pin. i will scale it soon but i don't think the trailer is over loaded the tires look great. I also was told by the trailer manufacture that if i put 17.5 tires and rims on my gvw would be 20k. If I have to I would do that before adding a axle.
i don't think the trailer is over loaded the tires look great.
SERIOUSLY? These seem to fall into the famous last words category
I used that once on a state trooper and it cost me $20 large

Don't matter what your axles or tires can hold its whats on the door sticker or spec. sticker of the unit and what plate you have that determines how much weight you can carry and this does apply to RV's.

Say your spec. or door sticker for the GVW of your tandem axle trailer unit says 5000 lbs.
2500 per axle.
You bump the axles up to 7000 lbs. 3500 each.
So, now you think you can carry 7000 lbs. you can BUT, are you legal? No.
So, you go and load up 7000 lbs. get taken to the scales I don't know why you just do. You get weighed in, the trooper or state revenue officer checks the spec. sticker or specs for that particular trailer and finds you 2000 lbs. over and you say Hey, I bumped up the axles to 7000.
It doesn't matter the trailer is only specd. for 5000 lbs. your overweight 2K.
Or if you get into an accident and if its found you were overweight and wrong classification of drivers license your insurance carrier does not have to cover it you voided your policy by overweighting the vehicle or by having the wrong classification of license for the weight.
Read your ins. policies and rules of the road CDL's for your state.
A.J. is offline   Reply With Quote