View Single Post
Old 02-06-2014, 05:15 PM   #94
hot rod

Practice, and more practice! I've never driven that particular tranny, but my trick has always been just make the shift nice and easy with just a bit of pressure on the shifter and it will slip right in when the rpms match up between the motor and tranny, that's really about it. You can't force them, but they drop in nice when the rpms match up. After a while your hand will do it automatically and you won't notice. That and toe the clutch just enough to let it shift, don't jam it all the way down. On some trannys you need just a bit of double clutching at just the right time to get it to slip in. If you have to force it every time, something isn't right. Have the tranny serviced anyway if you don't know when it was done last, sometimes fresh fluid will work miracles.

Your local RV dealer should have a selection of latches for your cabinet doors. You gotta have them, no way around it, or all your stuff will be on the floor every trip. I like the kind that is just a button for the door side, and it has a receptacle for the cabinet side to snap into. They just snap in with a little pressure when you push the door shut, and give a little tug to open it. I even have one cabinet that faces forward and it doesn't even pop open under braking. You could also use latches designed for child safety, but I think those are a pain to use.

Flat towing is easiest, no dolly or trailer to contend with when you get there, but the braking systems and wiring and brackets you have to have in the toad to be legal can be pretty pricey. A dolly gets rid of all that and you can use it with any car, but you have to find someplace to put it. You can't back up more than a few feet with either setup, so you need to get good at planning your fuel stops etc. where you can pull right through. You'll gain a new appreciation for the pull through parking spaces at Flying J and cracker barrel.

How about a motorcycle? They make carriers that go right in the hitch or bumper. Nothing better for getting around at the track. They don't let you cruise around on a bicycle or golf cart there, but the motorcycle is a regular motor vehicle and they don't bother you. I could never quite figure that one out when we stay at Daytona. If I ride my bicycle to the shower house security gets all bent out of shape and makes you walk it back, but I can hop on my full dress Harley and cruise right over and they don't care. Also you can pick up a nice smaller bike for a just a few grand and get 40+ mpg.

Glad to hear your first trip went well. I can appreciate the Daytona infield shot:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1259.jpg  
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote