View Single Post
Old 02-06-2014, 09:38 AM   #93
RLPRACING

Default First trip thoughts and questions

What a difference in a week and a thousand miles! We are now back to the cold snowy north and I'm not planning on working on this project till it gets at least above freezing. So some thoughts and questions.

As you can see in the Florida Avalon Park pic, this thing takes up 4 parking spaces. Definitely taking a car the next time but the question is how. In the past I have used our 24' enclosed trailer. Don't think they will let me in with that at Daytona but it works most other trips. So how do you guys take a car? The car dolly type or the bars type? Pros and cons?

On the trip I temporarily got the leveling jacks working. Worked great. Got home and had to drain all the water lines and fresh water tank. I used the jacks to lean the motorcoach to fully empty the tank. That's when I noticed the air ride on the truck trying to adjust its self to level side to side. So the question is, how do you stop that from happening? I can dump the air with the motor running but it fills back up when you shut the motor off on this Freightliner.

Cabinets.... how do you keep them closed? What kind of fixtures? Our GMC had a stiff suspension and was lower so we didn't see a problem with it. This thing sways a lot on bumpy slow speed turns into parking lots, changing roads and over uneven railroad tracks so we saw every upper and some lower cabinets open sometime during the trip. Lets face it, at 12 feet tall, the upper cabinets are going to see a lot of movement even with a one inch movement of one of the drive wheels. No problem rolling down the road.

Fuel mileage ended up to be 8.2. I ran 65 to 70 mph and found out there is a governor at 72 mph. 65 is a little over 1500 rpm. 100 mph would be no problem so I think I will keep the governor for now! Cruise control was great and was amazed it keep the speed almost dead on, even on steep downhill runs. Expensive 2700 miles but if you consider motel rooms, car gasoline and meals(we cooked our own except for a few), it really wasn't that much more $. Convenience is the number one plus. Being able to take what you want and to eat and sleep when you want is great. At our age, our bladders don't hold as long as they use to if you know what I mean!

I still suck at shifting the 10 speed Eaton trans. I get it to the next gear but it may be a little noisy. I thin I tried every trick people told me and sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. I have no idea why. Going to have to get a truck driver to ride with me and tell me what I am not doing. Its no problem starting off in 4th gear on the flat and 3rd on a little grade so that helps reduce the amount of shifting.
Attached Thumbnails
20140127_160524.jpg   20140205_155354.jpg  
RLPRACING is offline   Reply With Quote