Thread: Frame Welding
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #319
hot rod

When I was researching refrigerator installs prior to doing mine, I was told it was preferable to have the top vent for the fridge directly up through the roof as opposed to going back out through the sidewall. The theory is that the heat from the burner creates a draft up and back out and a good airflow from that draft is very important for efficient cooling operation and using an upper sidewall vent does not draft as well as directly up through the roof. I did mine that way and it holds right at 32 degrees on either electric or propane except on a really hot day it may creep up to 35-36 degrees. Also on mine the fridge is on the same side as the awning and I didn't want the heat coming out under the awning. Maybe somebody out there has one with 2 wall vents and can comment on how that works?

In the way of learning from my mistakes, make sure the enclosure for the refrigerator is completely waterproof and I would suggest lining it with something waterproof like aluminum sheeting, at least the lower portion. I was amazed to learn the hard way how much water can make it through that vented door while driving in the rain, and I am going to have to pull my fridge back out this winter and replace the now ruined wood floor of the enclosure. Also, pay attention to the directions and be sure the enclosure is sealed airtight to the interior of the RV due to fumes/CO from the burner.
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote