View Single Post
Old 10-18-2013, 07:47 AM   #24
RLPRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot rod View Post
I have the same vision for a slide out grill, but none of the production sliding drawers looked like they did what I wanted them to do in the opening I have to work with, plus stupid expensive. Looks like you fabbed something up for that, but I can't really see how it works in the pictures.

Also, what is your plan for finishing the wheelwells? Mine is framed the same way with square tubing, and also have .040 aluminum walls, and I've been trying to figure out how to make a nice round opening that is both supported (as in something solid behind the aluminum for the curved edge) and then some sort of trim to make it look finished nicely.
As for the grill, you are right about the cost of buying something. It wasn't in our budget. So we built ours out of angle iron. If you zoom in on the right side of the pic with the grill in the compartment from my last grill post, you are looking at a piece of angle iron, a piece of Teflon, a gap for the grill slide angle iron and a block of steel welded on top to act as the top of the track. This track goes back to the frame rails, maybe 30 inches. On the pic in this post, you see how we did the grill slide. The grill had holes in the side so we used those and we drilled two new ones in the back. I wanted the grill to slide out as far as possible to get it away from the coach walls so the slides go under the truck frame rails till it gets to the compartments on the other side. Around 5 ft. The front of the grill ends up about 3 ft out of the compartment giving about a foot of rear clearance. We need to add a stop and attach a handle to the front of the grill to help pull it out. Its doesn't pull as easy as a ball bearing slide but it works.

As for the wheel wells, we added a couple pieces of tubing in the corners at a diagonal to help support the aluminum. You can see them in my last post. Have not drew it out yet but I only want about 1/2" of aluminum at the top and the sides because of the support issue. Once cut out, I'm going to slide that chrome plastic edging over it. That's what's in my mind now so we will see if that will work and I will post more later.
Attached Thumbnails
20131017_131639.jpg   20131017_131652.jpg  
RLPRACING is offline   Reply With Quote