View Single Post
Old 08-27-2013, 02:08 AM   #23
hot rod

I would not drive without my tpms sensors. My tri axle trailer was prone to tire failures (at least until an upgrade to 17.5" wheels/tires cured that) and on a triaxle trailer you can't even feel a flat tire unless you literally hear it blow or see something flapping in the mirror, and that certainly is true of anything towed behind a TC. I figure my tpms system has paid for itself in saving tires, for example you pick up a nail or something and develop a slow leak, the monitor lets you know so you can pull over and save the tire before it goes completely flat or blows out. And that is not even considering how much damage a blown tire can cause to the motorhome itself. And when you have advance notice it gives you some time to pull off the highway to a safe place while the tire still has some air. That said, it can't prevent a tire that blows completely out of the blue, but that is really rare, normally a tire is going down and gets way too hot from running with low pressure, and then blows.

The whole deal is just great peace of mind, plus saves me a bunch of time pre trip because I was always one to check every tire before every trip.

I have the TST system, the older version with the non-replaceable batteries. Today I would buy the system with the replaceable batteries instead as I have had to send a number of sensors back over the years that quit. They charge you $20 for "batteries and seals" (including labor and shipping) to repair and return a sensor, but in my experience they have never actually done that, they just send you a new one.

Well worth the investment, as I mentioned you can pay for the system with one or two saved/repairable tires that would have blown out otherwise.
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote