View Single Post
Old 05-17-2013, 11:02 PM   #293
Ran D. St. Clair

Vagrency laws are everywhere, but it doesn't stop people from living on the street or living in their cars, it just gives the police something to work with if they feel the need. I have never lived the life, but while I was preparing to, I began to notice people doing it everywhere, and I don't just mean the half crazy ones that haven't washed in forever. Away from their vehicles they blend in like anyone else. It's only their vehicles I noticed, mostly they kept to themselves. I think the public's general fear and distaste is overblown, like they have some sort of catching disease. But it's not a disease to be poor, and people as decent and honorable as any of your neighbors can find themselves on hard times. For a lot of folks it just takes a lost job or some unexpected medical condition and their life savings are gone. They were your neighbors, or coworkers, and friends for many years, but now they live in their car, or worse. A lot of them are in their 50's or older, and yes, some of them made bad choices, and didn't save, or never upgraded their skills to insure their future employability. I won't defend them, but there are times when I feel I understand them. I think part of what makes people uncomfortable is that they know that "there but for the grace of God go I", and the thought of their own possible future is disquieting. Some will say in anger that they have a right to exist wherever they stand, but most just want to be left alone in their quiet shame, and mostly, that's exactly what they do, which is why you never see them, even though they are everywhere.
Ran D. St. Clair is offline   Reply With Quote