View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 02:38 PM   #111
hot rod

I know this is a crazy brainstorming idea, but...

I wonder if it would be possible to mount a large inexpensive window unit type a/c underneath in a underbody box, and have a big curved 90 degree duct pointing up through the floor of the truck? Maybe sounds crazy, but why wouldn't it work? The box would need a door to open up to circulate outside air and let heat out of the box, but that's no big deal, every box needs a door anyway. My buddy has a gooseneck trailer and didn't want to drop the coin on a roof mount rv a/c so he mounted a window unit in the bulkhead under the gooseneck (pointing towards the rear of the trailer) and has a drop door in the diamondplate facia on the outside that he opens when he runs the unit. All hidden above the landing gear. Why not do the same thing in a tool box? I'm picturing a home furnace type duct the size of the front of the unit, curves up to a big grate in the floor of the truck. Wouldn't be the prettiest thing to have a grate in the floor, but it would be cheap particularly if you know somebody in the heating business that can make the duct. And a $100-$200 Walmart a/c (or next to nothing used on craigslist) would be the guts of it, which can be cheaply replaced down the road if it goes bad. And all hidden inside a box so it would look good. Crazy?
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote