View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 04:54 PM   #22
Highway OPie

Default Michigan Conversion

This may be hard to believe, but the registration and licensing of my 2003 Peterbilt 379 conversion was almost a "pleasant" experience in dealing with the Michigan SOS.

When I first bought the tractor from a local truck dealer, I went to the SOS office and asked what I needed to provide in terms of documentation for my vehicle to be registered as a motorhome? I was told I needed a certified weigh slip, plus proof of insurance.

As it took me about three months to get all the preliminary work done prior to weighing; drop the front axle, add the 16' dry box, add the split 120 gallon fresh/gray water tank, and a few other things.

I got this all done, went to a Cat scale and weighed the beast: 21,400 pounds. Also got some RV insurance from Progressive. I took all this in the SOS's office, and just happened to get the same lady behind the counter who helped me three months earlier. She said, "Oh, I remember you!"

It was a smooth slide from then on, and in about two weeks my new title arrived in the mailbox with these words across the top:

P E T E R B I L T M O T O R H O M E

I was a happy camper, literally!

Speed Gray, K8SG
Grand Rapids, MI
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0476.jpg  
Highway OPie (Speed Gray) Grand Rapids, MI: 2003 Peterbilt 379 Motorhome; 550 hp 6NZ Caterpillar C15, Eaton-Fuller 18 speed transmission, 3.36 rear; 63" sleeper and 16' Morgan box.(highwayopie@aol.com). There are many Peterbilts, but this one is mine!
Highway OPie is offline   Reply With Quote