Thread: Meet Moby
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2012, 11:14 AM   #6
jbeech

My plans, as I am wont to do, involve keeping it simple. In this case, an open plan largely consisting of a multipurpose room instead one compartmentalized with single purpose rooms.

For example, vice the sleeping arrangements. I cannot under any circumstances foresee building a dedicated bedroom. Or worse, adding the complexity of slides in a desperate attempt to keep it from feeling like what it is . . . a claustrophobic space about the size of a small walk-in closet. Instead, I envision just one dividing wall, which splits the 23' long interior space into a 4' wide bathroom and a 19' foot workshop/bedroom combo. The latter being reconfigured as the need arises.

For example, the forward 4' for a bathroom because nobody but us will be going there. Accessed via a 2' 0" door (standard bathroom door width in most homes), the resulting 48" leaves ample space for a 38" radius corner shower, toilet, and sink. Plus, with careful planning, space for hanging clothes, storing towels, and a microwave (above the toilet). I'm also thinking of placing a 100A electrical panel in the bathroom if there's a place for it.

Along those lines, since the space above a shower is otherwise wasted, I'm comfortable with placing a 95 gallon potable water holding tank above the shower, which leaves 7' clear (higher than I can reach). This maximizes use of the bathroom cube, and hews to my multipurpose principal. Note the term 'cube' because in essence, I am thinking in terms of cubic space like a space station designer versus a traditional architect configuring square footage.

Locating the water tank above the shower is largely driven by consideration of the reduced 'basement' cube available in my particular truck (due to an auxiliary axle). While an obvious concern centers on the 1000 pounds of mass (95 gallons plus tank and structure) mounted high, e.g. posing an increased roll over risk, this is offset by the simple fact the 22,400 pound truck is a) designed to carry 30,000 pounds of cargo, and b) it's not a sports car anyway. Regardless, I'm sanguine about this risk and on balance (pun intended) don't think it's a deciding consideration.

This leaves 19' of box for my workshop/sleeping combo area. Since the one wall has a 2' bathroom door, this leaves space for perhaps a couple of 3' base cabinets on each side. I'm thinking of having the door open outward (against the cabinet) instead of inward. I haven't decided on base cabinets yet because this is also prime real estate for a refrigerator.

Regardless, a Murphy bed is my best idea for sleeping. I've found a queen size mechanism, which when it lets down, does so into the 19' part of the box. In comparison, 19' feels spacious while protruding a mere foot from the wall when stored. In effect, it's the best of both worlds because we maintain a comfortable area in which to maneuver within the workshop while not feeling cramped at night. Anyway, this seems like a smarter use of the available volume than a single purpose bedroom.

Of course, others will have different needs. For example folks building a truck to carry a race car may need to accommodate a crew. Similarly, folks traveling with a passel of children may need to sleep 12. However, Moby is being made to order for the two of us. Thus, sleeping in the 'workshop' is really no hardship whatsoever.

Two additional thoughts. First, I have a 6' sleeper cab, which I'm thinking of converting into an office. Second, since the truck is in essence a humongous air compressor, I figure routing an air line into and around the box means I can use compact air-powered tools, like a die grinder instead of a Dremel. This also means I can carry an impact wrench for the times I need to remove a flat.

Meanwhile, since I have an auxilliary axle, I believe I can take advantage of it. For example, I can lower it onto stacked 2x12 boards to, in effect, raise the drive wheels. This means it's a built in jack to facilitate changing same flat. Add a 5T bottle jack and I can do the deed to the steer tires also - without a service call. Moreover, I figure routing an air line isn't limited to inside the box but may also be routed around the box, which means I can carry an impact wrench for the times I need to remove a wheel.

By the way, did I mention my truck is equipped with a squat option, which lowers the rear axle as much as 6 inches? Thus, by thinking laterally, the auxiliary axle also gives me the means of leveling the truck because placing boards beneath just the low side makes it easy to level the cab side to side, which is less expensive than installing leveling jacks and probablty 90% as useful. Anyway, this is why I am loathe to remove the axle altogether and sell it off.

Finally, while I have yet to lay the plan out on paper, e.g. to determine exactly where a television fits, plus maybe a couple of windows, and of course, an entrance door I have begun by dealing with the biggies. E.g. where to sleep, poop, shower, and of course where to place my workbench as I build out the truck to suit my my intended purpose. E.g. attend model flying events with some semblance of comfort and style - a few times a year - without breaking the bank.
jbeech is offline   Reply With Quote