View Single Post
Old 06-05-2012, 06:27 PM   #79
Ran D. St. Clair

I solved this problem by putting a door in the door, whereas I gather you are talking about putting a door inside the outer door. By putting a door in the door, I am still able to open the origional barn doors to gain full access to the rear of the truck. This comes in handy for loading big things and also allows me to use the origional loading ramp as it was origionally intended. I insulated the origional doors as well as the inner door that I added. I used a standard door knob and dead bolt like you would find on any regular house. Yes the door knob looks a little out of place, but not too bad. I also added an outer flange to the inner door to provide for a rubber weather seal. That and I have 2 layers of the folded type weather seals between the door and the jam all the way around. I also put a small 2" drip rail over both the outer doors, and another over the inner door. I have never had any problems with moisture coming in, even with heavy thonderstorms lashing at the back of the truck. I am not saying that it is the best solution as the rubber door seals to put a little pressure on the latch or dead bolt when the door is closed. To open the door I have to pull (or push) the door shut to take pressure off the latch (or deadbolt) before turning the knob (or unlocking the deadbolt), but it is a pretty minor issue.
Ran D. St. Clair is offline   Reply With Quote