View Single Post
Old 04-02-2012, 09:51 PM   #22
#90-GTSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzardND View Post
As much as it pains me to ask for more regulation, if anything good comes out of this, is.. a RV license like a sport pilot license. It would be required that you drive, back and show that you can inspect your rig prior to travel. It would also allow for recreational hobby enterprise such as motor racing and horse shows that pay cash prizes. Full time race drivers like NASCAR Transports and anyone getting paid to drive the truck, would be considered a commercial driver, and the truck would be required a separate set of rules. If it was found during an accident that the driver was a professional and the DOT rules were not followed he should be prosecuted. But those rules are too onerous for the weekend warrior racer , Horse-showman Rodeo Cowboy or Carshow participant.
I would support this. If the Truck/RV and Trailer are individually or together over certain weights, then a restricted CDL is required with special written and a driver's test. My friend Charlie put hundreds of thousands of miles on his Prevost, all without a CDL. But he had been in the construction business, owned and driven dump trucks, but ... nothing as big as the Prevost.

I've considered going and getting a CDL when I get a rig that big.

There is nothing wrong with voluntarily adherring to certain rules ... but of course most owner/drivers won't do that.
Started looking for 379 Peterbilt TC, 24' to 30' box, bumper pull--but ended up w/1999 Liberty Coach conversion of 45' Prevost XLV bus. 1,000sf heated/AC'd race shop w/dump station, 50amp shore pwr where bus parks, 3 NASCAR/ARCA race cars & 26' Bravo trailer.
#90-GTSC is offline   Reply With Quote