Thread: Frame Welding
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2011, 11:41 AM   #35
Kenn

Default doors

Dave, I plan to order my doors from Gortite roll up doors built by A & A Manufacturing. I want to use the roll up doors because when I worked as a Firefighter, our equipment had roll up doors. I know that they are strong and hold up well. I have never seen a motor home with them and don't mind doing things that others don't. I also like the way I can build the compartment frames with 2" tubing, strong and simple. For extra $$$$ Gortite will paint the doors to match the body color of the motorhome. I have been to some race tracks that pack the motor homes and trailers in so tight that it was hard to open even small hinged doors. The pics are of a local fire rescue rig and the doors are made by another co. You can check them out at www.gortitrdoors.com

Shorts, you are right about the overhang vs ground clearance. I have seen rigs that look like they would not make it into a lot of places without dragging. I plan to beef up the rear to handel any dragging and I will have 16" of clearance on level gorund. I used a model to help me see what the overall look would be (or close to it). I will post a pic of my model and of a rig for sale that I looked at. I would have made an offer if it had less overhange. Overhang causes clearance probles with the rear end swinging out so much. In the pic you can see that they are painting the back because he hit a pole.
Attached Thumbnails
IM000645.jpg   IM000646.jpg   IM000499.jpg   kennworth 011.jpg  
Kenn is offline   Reply With Quote