Thread: Frame Welding
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2011, 12:21 AM   #31
Kenn

Default Harbor Freight to the rescue

In the past few days I have used my Harbor Freight porta-power and my chain-fall. If I was better at clamping I would not need them. While welding floor framing I managed to heat warp some 2 x 2 x 3/16 tubing (just 2 peices). I used the chain-fall to lift them back up. I will post a pic. I also found that the 2 x 5 x .120 tubing that the floor framing ties to on the outside had moved inward. I used the 10 ton porta-power to spread them so I could get the cross pieces in. I have spent lots of $$$ at HF over the years. I try to buy quality tools if I plan to use them a lot (welders and maching tools) and I get by with the low cost things that I need once in a while. When a HF tool fails, I try to remember how much I save when I bought it.
I have finished the basic framing for the floor and am starting on the lower compartments. Today I moved the truck outside for the first time since I began the framing. I got some better pictures which show how low the bodywork will be (15" off the ground). This will give me compartments that are 31" tall with a door height of 27". The body rear overhang will by 7' behind the rear axle. I wanted to see what it would look like so I cut up a piece of 1/8" stuff I got at Lowes and clamped to the truck. I also tried to decide how much clearence I need around the rear tires. Up next is to cut all of the upright 2 x 2 tubing for the compartments and then order the doors.
Attached Thumbnails
IM000105.jpg   IM000108.jpg   IM000118.jpg   IM000133.jpg  
Kenn is offline   Reply With Quote