View Single Post
Old 04-23-2003, 11:34 PM   #10
Mike E

Hi Kevin,
I agree that the front seat/air bag issue is a problem. However, the stats I was referring to which stated that the rear seat is safer than the front seat in an accident were from before the advent of passenger side air bags and even today groups such as the Nat'l Insurance Institute and the NHTSA continue to recommend the rear seat even when a car is equipped with an air bag shut-off or reduction system. Of course, all the tests leading to such recommendations are on passenger cars and trucks and therefore may not be relevant to class 8 trucks. In any event, I want at least four sets of shoulder harnesses so each member of my family has one available. To that end, I emailed Double Eagle and they said all of their sleepers are custom orders so they can provide such a set up in a sleeper with air ride. However, even though their prices seem very reasonable, they are still out of my reach for now. My best bet still seems to be a KW sleeper or custom conversion of an existing sleeper. I did notice the attachments for the sleeper safety nets in the pictures of the Larry's Volvo conversions and although I haven't seen them in person they appear to be very similar to a standard seat belt clip. When I was an OTR Driver 20+ years ago the nets were not nearly as sophisticated so I'll have to take a closer look. However, unless I can figure out a way to add shoulder harnesses or convert the net system, or someone else can tell me how to do so, I will have to stay away from integral sleepers and go with either a day cab or a truck with a modular type removable sleeper so I can add on a KW sleeper or a Double Eagle or its equivalent down the road. Again, if anyone has thoughts on this, I'd love to hear them. Thanks.

Mike

P.S. Kevin, I'll email you privately to discuss the Beemer once my law school finals are over.
Mike E is offline   Reply With Quote