Thread: Transmissions
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2003, 08:38 AM   #1
5erFool (John)

I am a newbie to this subject and this site so please be patient... I have been dickering with a man for a '96 Ford F-700 and '93 Kountry aire 40' 5er for the last 2+ years.We finally came to an agreement on price and although it was very difficult to determine a price for the truck when we did I was suprised how low it was..Now after that premble here is the problem..
The truck is a day cab so the seat sits bolt upright.. not good for my old back... and the fuel pedal forces my toes to get overly friendly with my shin... causing severe pain to the knee and etc...so I am convinced I need at least an extended cab..guess my pickup has me spoiled... also the transmission (10spd spicer) is a pia to use.. I learned quickly that is does not seem to be familiar with syncronizers.. I havent driven a square cut tranny since my '61 studebaker lark... double shifting is essential for any shift .. up or down.. love the air brakes etc but that tranny ssstinks...do all the larger trucks have that tranny... when I drove a beer and coke truck back in the late 70s I don't remember having any trouble with the tranny..I prefer to shift gears myself but not like that... it was a challenge... I drove it for a couple of hours and just barely became able to upshift without grinding..(85% maybe).. not my idea of fun.. I hate to go to an automatic but if that is the only choice ... ok..any comments or suggestions.??
thanks
JOhn
5erFool (John) is offline   Reply With Quote