View Single Post
Old 09-15-2005, 02:19 PM   #4
madbrit

Why would you be concerned about an officer stopping you or "blowing past" a weigh station when you don't have to stop at them? But then again you are familiar with driving class 8 trucks as private vehicles aren't you.

I can't advise you on costs for a partial build other than I was quoted in excess of $5K just to stretch the frame. If you have contacted Kingsley ask them for a partial job quote or Renegade, or one of the other brand names. Then you will have something concrete to go on, but seriously doubt you will get a large company to mess with partial conversions when they are rushed off their feet with complete ones. You may have to search out smaller custom coach builders to work with you on this sort of project and may cost you more in the long run.

I built my own conversion and used a 1994 FLD 120, with a 24ft Gruman box, then added below floor storage and so far we have around $30K in it with the cabinets and final decor to finish. We did just take a 6 week, 6000 mile trip across the Country without any problems other than a broken fan belt on the genset. We pull a 26ft enclosed car hauler which weighs in at around 9500 lbs.

The length laws come into play with NON commercial vehicles, most of the info you supplied with that website was for commercial trucks and mainly semis, the rules are different. A tag trailer being towed behind a motorhome is a totally different thing, just ask the smaller sized trailer manufacturers, such as Haulmark or United Trailers. The 102" wide rule is also not for all routes, not many people know that. There is also a "Motorsports Exemption" to do with lengths and other things, BUT this is only for semis, not tag trailers.

What you are forgetting is that just because you get away with the oversize thing, in the event of an accident, you may well be SOL if your insurance company decides that you were driving an illegal vehicle and leaves you high and dry without coverage.

Peter.
madbrit is offline   Reply With Quote