Thread: Axle Removal
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2003, 01:47 AM   #35
Mike E

Hi Larry,
You are absolutely right, and I don't know why it didn't occur to me until you mentioned it. I was an OTR driver in my younger days and now that I think about it, I cannot recall ever being asked for my CDL at a weigh station. They were always more interested in my logbook and my paperwork. On the few occasions when I was bobtailing, they always waved me through without stopping so I probably could have just cruised by without stopping but I never wanted to take the chance. In addition, I was never stopped by the highway patrol in the entire time I drove (not that it couldn't happen). In fact, the only time I ever showed my CDL was when starting a new job and filling out the hire-on paperwork at a new company, so they could make a copy for the file and I could get my company driver's card.

Since I will be making the trip from wherever I buy the truck to my home only once, then moving it around only occasionally during its conversion, it's probably not a problem and I should be alright with my Hawaii DL if push comes to shove. I just have to make sure I get a truck with enough time on the registration to last until I complete the job. If so, can I just transfer the title into my name and keep the existing registration until it nears its renewal time or I am ready to re-title it as an RV? And can I get insurance without a CDL before I re-title as an RV and if so, how much will it cost?

If truck sellers will let you take a test drive with them along then shopping for a truck will be no problem. While I was an OTR I drove 10 sp, 13 sp, 16 sp (both airshift & 2 stick), & even a three stick Mack triplex, so shifting won't be a problem except that it's been a few years so I might be a little rusty, but it will come back quickly. Thanks again, Larry, for helping to put my mind at ease. Later.
Mike
Mike E is offline   Reply With Quote