View Single Post
Old 03-16-2006, 05:08 AM   #17
fastlap

Geof, I am not talking about "death wobble" that is way different and can be pretty violent !

I am talking about a very slow oscillation in the the steering wheel 30-90 degrees each side of center that occurs in trucks that are brand new or have All new parts, tires and wheels !
Its called bump steer or travel steer and most trucks (if not all) will have some

This is not a very violent issue and most people will not even notice it cause they are sawing at the wheel a little anyways!
Its not particualy dangerous like caster shimmy or caster shake or as you called it "Death wobble"
The more spring arch and spring travel a truck has (or I should say Uses) the more bump steer it will exhibit !

Matter of fact the tighter(newer) all the front end and suspension parts are, the more bump steer you will have as then every suttle little movement of the front springs will be transfered back through the drag link to the box and wheel ! bump steer is worse in big rolling type of bumps and non existent in sharp abrupt bumps (generaly speeking)

The truck will track straight while all this is going on and if you try to dampen the steering it will make the truck wander so it is best to let it have its head so to speak !

Volvos seem to have more suspension travel then most trucks (mine has 12.5" rear and around 10" front )
The way to cure this is make the front springs run as flat as possible (load them up)and Keep the Max weight on the front axel at all times (most conversions already have this , mine don't!)

Agreed "Death wobble" caster shimmy is increased greatly by any loosness in any suspension componet (or in balance)
But my opinion is that what causes "death wobble" would some what cure bump steer!
t
fastlap is offline   Reply With Quote