View Single Post
Old 11-22-2010, 12:06 PM   #254
Nomadic Wolfy

Randy,

It's a shame that the item that had the second highest cost is your least favorite thing.

If you where to have to do this project again,
we could reasonably say that you could reduce your cost by a 3rd or more, would that assumption be correct?

What others will save from reading about these builds,(yours, Bliz's, and others), should have some value too.

You cant touch it, or use it, but you surely have to know that you provided a valuable service, and inspiration to at least a few folks,(myself included).

I should have spoken up earlier in your build,
as I wished you would have went with a more robust electrical setup, that relied less on generator, and more on renewable energy, as well
i was in the electric toilet camp, and agree with GEO(Propane sucks). Yes, I know, I should not have lurked that long, and NO, i'm not trying to Monday morning quarterback you!

I know your probably pretty fed up right now, looking at the costs,but i bet if you use this stealth camper for 5 years you will be way ahead. Even if you end up part timing, or using it for vacations or what not.

It's kinda funny thinking about what Bliz said about the small space. To me that's A LOT of space! For one person that would be plenty.
I don't know how well it will do with two though!

Anyways, I hope you'll at least think about the towed garage idea.
Not only would it fulfill some of your storage and space needs, it will serve as a workshop, and also offer you a place to go for some privacy and "Me" time. Not saying your kid is annoying or a pain in the rear, just that everyone needs their "space".

In addition, it opens up the possibility for you to add renewable energy collection to your home. You wont have to be so dependent on acquiring fuel for your electricity. (as of right now you have to pay for every single electron you are consuming), either from the alternator, or generator.

I hope that you will continue to add updates about your build,and how your lifestyle changes,(because it will),and how you adapt and overcome obstacles related to this build.

Further, I wish you luck, and many years of trouble free service with your build,
May it serve you well!

~Wolfy~

P.S. If you do get a trailer, Make sure it's tall. You don't want your truck casting a shadow on it, and you wont want people to know there are solar panels on it.
If SHTF, you wont be as dependent on fuel,and price fluctuation wont effect you nearly as much.
Water, and food are a whole different ball game, but at least you would have 2 of your 4 bases covered in a SHTF scenario.
Nomadic Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote