View Single Post
Old 03-28-2008, 06:24 AM   #13
HD_RIDER

Jim,
Having gained a little more experience and knowledge on the subject of toters since that last posting, I can offer a little better opinion now. I bought a 2001 Volvo 610 about a year ago, and made just a few changes to accommodate pulling my 5'th wheel camper with it.

First, let me point you to This site, where you'll find a wealth of information about the conversion of these trucks to toters, and several members have the T 2000's.

In my case, I have decided to leave the unit a twin screw, for now anyhow, rather than having it singled. There's arguments both ways for that discussion, but if you're planning on remaining commercial I assume you would keep both axles as well. One of the primary reasons that most units are converted in the manner they are is to qualify for non-commercial status. Some states have provisions to have them re-classified as "RV's", as Indiana does, some are "Private trucks", some are called "Motor Homes". The goal here is to be considered the same as any other self contained camper, which is not subject to all the commercial DOT requirements (no CDL, no log books, no chicken coops, RV insurance, etc.). Once this is done, nothing of a commercial nature can be done with your toter without getting cross-ways with the law. Even having advertising on the sides, or pulling race car trailers can be considered a violation. Some have skated for a while, but with more of these being converted and re-classified as non-commercial all the time, closer scrutiny is inevitable.

Having said that, there's no reason that you can't make a few accommodations to your T-2000 to allow you to remain commercial, and still be able to pull campers for hire, as well as your own use. If you plan on pulling nothing but campers in the future, you'll want a more "RV-friendly" hitch, preferably an air-ride. While the commercial hitch will work (I still use mine), they can be brutal on the lighter weight frames of the campers. Over the road isn't the main problem, it's when you get in the rough terrain off-road, since the hitch doesn't have any sideways give. I've seen conversions that actually have both fifth wheels mounted. If you want to retain the ability to pull a commercial trailer, the only things you really have to do is add fenders or a deck of sorts to cover the tires and protect the fiberglass trailers, and a brake controller and an RV pigtail to for the electrics. You'll still have all the DOT requirement to follow, of course, but that's the only way that you can legally make money with a toter.

I know of one case in particular where an OTR driver pulls his camper south every winter, so his wife can enjoy the warmer climate while he's on the road. He stops when he's back in the area, then tows it back north for the summer.

I hope this helps you out some, and you'll find lots more discussion on the "escapees" site that I referred to.

Jess
NRA Life Member
https://community.webshots.com/user/hd_rider1992
HD_RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote