Thread: Axle Removal
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2003, 02:05 PM   #24
Mike E

Re: -CDL and Definitions

I Just wanted to comment on geof's post, "-CDL and Definitions" on March 19, 2003. I agree that the CDL exam is written on an 8th grade level and therefore not difficult to pass. Having had a CDL at one time, I don't really mind getting one again. The problem is the driving exam which is sort of a "catch 22" in most of the states I've checked. You need to already own a truck or know somebody with a truck in order to take the test, and if you do own a truck, someone with a valid CDL needs to drive it to the testing center. The DMV testers I have spoken to indicated that if you couldn't prove the truck was legally driven to the testing center they would assume you drove it illegally and disqualify you from further testing. However, that is moot since I don't presently own a truck. That brings up the other problem of not having a current CDL. Without it, I can't test drive any trucks while shopping, nor can I legally drive home a purchased truck (unless I buy a truck already converted to a motorhome which I do not plan to do). How have the others on this forum surmounted that problem? (Note: California has no provision for non-commercial registration of class 8 trucks).

Mike
Mike E is offline   Reply With Quote