View Single Post
Old 12-08-2005, 08:12 PM   #8
Elburn Bill

So taking this to an extreme...

A couple drive their F250 towing an enclosed cargo trailer. They travel to craft fairs on the weekends to sell his woodworkings and her crocheting. They have decals on the doors of the truck and one on the rear of the trailer.

Are they commercial? Do they need a CDLs?

Now take the same couple but now they throw all their stuff into their 3/4 ton suburban.

Same questions?

I have heard of some ranchers being pulled over for CDL violations while towing their livestock to feedlots or to auction. I think this is BS since most states have exemptions for farmers bringing their product to market. I know in Indiana, farmers are able to drive even a Class 8 with a 53' trailer WITHOUT a CDL of any kind under this exemption while hauling their corn, for example. There is a mileage radius that they must maintain and I beleive it is 150 or 200 miles form their farm.

An area that has a lot of us concerned is when we are hauling our animals to shows. Under the law if the animals are for sale we have to follow DOT regs but at a show they are not technically for sale but we do get a ribbon if we place in our classes (is this considered compensation when we pay several hundred dollars for the corral space and entry fees and possibly receive a $2 ribbon). Now obviously the better placing animals gather attention and frequently do get requests to sell.

What is clear is that the current wording of the regs leave a lot of room for interpretation by teh DOT officer. I believe that is what causes a lot of the "violations". They have one interpretation and the driver has another...unfortunately more times than not the DOT officer is not going to consede that you may have a valid point...it's a matter of pride.