View Single Post
Old 10-28-2010, 07:30 PM   #246
Nomadic Wolfy

Randy,

I Don't think the panels on the awnings would work to well either, besides being damaged as you say, I would worry about theft,
And of course the stealth issue goes out the window as well.

Yes i am familiar with all those sites, and frequent them often. But its always nice to keep them refreshed for the new people coming in.

About the Solar...

You already have a couple things on the roof that would cause loss from shadow.

Shadows cast on the panels is a big killer of the output.

You could go Amorphous, they are much more tolerant to shade, and cloudy days, but generally
don't out put the same amount of power per square foot of coverage. They do have the added benefit of being cheaper.

However IMHO, I think for your application, they would be the only choice, as you are almost sure to get shading from the other items on your roof.

BUT......
You mentioned before that you really don't want to leave your tools behind, and that losing your garage would be hard on you. I think you mentioned that pulling a small cargo trailer for your equipment could be an option. If that's the case, another use for that cargo trailer could be the placement of your solar setup. A cargo trailer goes with a box truck like pea's and carrots... In fact it would Enhance your stealth this way, as you could mount a ladder and such as well, and maybe even some fake PVC pipe... One on each side of the roof running it's length would hide the panels from view on the ground.

You could easily fit 720 watts on that roof,
and the only draw backs I see here is cost,
witch would be considerable.(Just the heavy gauge cable to run from the trailer to your power center is scary!)

You still have another year to go on your planned completion date, perhaps this can be like your part 2

~ Wolfy is a dreamer so forgive him if he gets to far off base.~

As far as the viability of your credibility... Pictures, and your detailed journal of this whole process speaks highly in your favor.

Sure this project is outside the norm for "nesters", But you, and others are blazing a trail of possibilities for those of us who are yet to go that way.

It also is helpful to survivalist types looking to build out "Bug out" trailers and such. My best friend in fact is almost as enthused about my future build as i am, and he wants to build one too.

Yes, i am a well versed urban camper, a Vandweller, a park surfer, and Frugal lifestyle extraordinaire. Well... Maybe not so grandiose,
but I surely came up in the school of hard knocks. I know my fair share of the tricks.

I am very happy with my freedom, and i don't have to have a lot of income to survive.

My total monthly expenses are less then my brothers truck payment! I laugh about it but he doesn't laugh so much... I feel bad for him but
I told him to wait for a bigger down payment...
But i digress...

I have found that stealth is not as important as i thought it once was. 24 hour stores are everywhere. No one messes with you as long as your not out camping in the parking lot with lawn chairs, the barbie running, awning down, and speakers jamming out "freebird".

As long as you don't litter,and otherwise make a mess, or Mess with anyone else... THEY DON'T CARE.

My favorite spots have about 5-6 other vehicles that i see often that are doing the same thing i am, and its completely obvious what they are.

All of them are like me though. We are quite, we don't bother anyone, we are clean, and we don't
hang out all day long. We come in, sleep, and then go about our bushiness during the day.

The only thing i would complain about is the space i have. (My van is a Mercury Villager Mini-Van), And let me tell you It's not easy, or very fun with such a small space.

I have to put up with it though, so i can upgrade to something roomier, either a pulled trailer behind this van like a 7x14, Or a Box truck, although in my eyes it's gotta have a pass through!

Keep up the good work man, can't wait for the future updates!!!

~Wolfy~
Nomadic Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote