View Single Post
Old 10-20-2010, 12:46 PM   #241
Ran D. St. Clair

Stealth Camping

The Stealth Camper has officially Stealth Camped.

I needed to bring the truck into work so one of my work buddies could take a look at the computer, so I figured, why not drive in the night before when there is no traffic?

I asked the facilities guy if I could spend the night in the parking lot and relearned why it is better to ask forgiveness than permission.

That night I show up and start looking for a parking spot near work, but I hadn’t realized that all the streets in the light industrial area are posted no parking from 10:00 PM to 5:00 am. So I drive around and find a side street off of Central Expressway with a huge dirt moving truck parked on the side of the road. I figured if he can park there then so can I. (Bad idea.) I watched some TV and then went to bed, but cars kept whizzing around the corner and some of them would come by so fast that the truck would shake from their bow wake. I may be dumb, but I do learn (slowly).

I got up and drove the truck to a quiet neighborhood near where I used to live. I found a small street with parking on the curb along the side of a dark house. It was dead quiet all night long. I got up early to go to work, and I doubt anyone even knew I was there. The diesel makes a bit of a racket when I start it up, and of course the back up beeper is annoying, but I keep it to a minimum.

Yes, the truck sits very un-level on the side of the road, but I had planned for that. The bunks are designed to be “head high” with the truck leaning to the right and it isn’t a problem.

So I think the lesson is, show up late on a quiet street, go to bed, and then leave first thing in the morning. There are any number of free flat places to park during the day, including at work.

To be continued….
Ran D. St. Clair is offline   Reply With Quote