View Single Post
Old 09-25-2005, 08:42 PM   #6
WalliK

V8rail, you had me scared there for a while. But I found info in the new California Drivers Handbook 2005 edition.

"" Class C

You may drive:

any 2-axle vehicle with a GVWR of 26,000 lbs. or less.

any 3-axle vehicle weighing 6,000 lbs. or less gross.

any housecar, 40 feet or less.

a vanpool vehicle, designed to carry more than 10 but less than 15 persons including the driver. The driver must have a valid medical report on file with DMV and carry a valid medical card.. The driver must also have a signed certification stating he/she has not been convicted of reckless driving, drunk driving, or hit-and-run in the last five years. (VC Section 12804.9[j] ).

a motorized scooter. ""

So you are right that pretty much for any 3 axle vehicle you need more than class C license, as even my 3/4 ton pickup weights more than 6,000 lbs.

BUT THEN AGAIN, I would stick with the 3rd item, ANY housecar 40 feet or less. No weight or axle mentioning, so I guess all that matters is the length.

And as for non-commercial class B:

""Class B Noncommercial

You may drive:

any vehicles listed under Class C.

a housecar over 40 feet but not over 45 feet, with endorsement. ""

So there we have the RV over 40 feet, again no weight or axle mentioning.

And of course for towing over 10,000 lbs you need non-comm class A.

I would therefore bring the CA drivers handbook with me just in case I have to argue with some LOE. If you had some other experience please let us know.

So, IF im correct here then the license is no more questions and were are back again at just the merits of keeping the twin or removing one axle.

And of course my question as to which converter to use.

Walter
WalliK is offline   Reply With Quote