View Single Post
Old 08-11-2005, 09:39 PM   #8
Jimm

Kaye, can you post some links? I've seen a few such discussions and long ago came to the conclusion that the mainstream RV industry was studded with crap product...not just "fly by nighters", the biggest like Winnabago and such.

My rig is being "expanded" right now by a very honest RV repair shop (RV Doctor George, Sacramento). He tells some STORIES.

Lesse...one company set up a fifth wheel with a slideout - and put the kitchen in the slideout. The weight of the fridge/sink/oven area caused the slideout to collapse and stick open. Had to be massively re-engineered in his shop.

Trailer axles and suspensions almost universally suck.

Right now he's got a 40ft Wanderlodge tandem pusher in the shop, late 1980s vintage, no slides. That thing is AWESOME. Just reeks quality and looks to be in brand new shape. It's in because a muffler shop lowered it without pulling some blocking stands first, caved in a couple of the bays, hardly the buses' fault. I mean, damn, other than the reduced towing ability versus a truck conversion, there's nothing finer on the road.

Mine was one of the first truck conversions he'd ever seen and he's been very impressed. He's turning the original flatbed racecar hauler rear deck into a garage, adding on to the original 2" square steel tube frame.
Jimm is offline   Reply With Quote